Monday, July 11, 2005

Just after the 100th film...

I have passed the benchmark of 100; 100 films that I've seen for the year 2005. Last years set of films is definitely better, American films continue to sink and suffer from mediocrity, placing so much of their money in the visual effects and big Hollywood stars, plus the year 2006 will be flooded by remakes, films from South Korea like My Sassy Girl, Il Mare, The Phone and Oldboy will be copied (haaayyy). Sideways, Primer and Before Sunset saved the American films for the first 6 months of my movie viewing.

Thank God, South Korean films definitely got my attention this year, both on the entertainment and the artistic side of filmmaking. I have to admit that most of their works is melodramatic, I guess that's what they are, but they are not dumb and cheesy in doing this genre. European films however are always consistent, always maintaining the balance between the style, content and elegance.

These are the last films I've seen in July:

Madagascar (US) - I enjoyed the first half hour, but the film suffers from predictability and lack of excitement. FAIL

Das Experiment (Germany) - Good thriller, reminds me a little of Silence of the Lambs, very original and dynamic. PASS

Shutter (Thailand) - Very scary but ocassionally funny, overall; good movie... PASS

The Forgotten (US) - Creepy enough but it suffers from predictability. Watch the trailer and you know what will happen in the first hour of the film... FAIL

2046 (Hong Kong) - The critics like this film a lot, they say its visually beautiful and nearly poetic... but I don't buy it... FAIL

Premonition (Japan) - One of the worst film of the year, I really regret watching it because of a free pass... FAIL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home